I’ve mentioned previously that we don’t go out to eat all that often anymore. It’s difficult to find restaurants with gluten free, paleo options that we trust. This weekend, though, we had an amazing dining experience at RPM Steak right here in Chicago. Winner, winner, grass fed meat dinner!
RPM Steak has been quite the hot spot since it opened last year. Co owners Bill and Guiliana Rancic have created a beautiful dining venue in the heart of River North that is attracting foodies, celebrities and even President Obama who dined there last October. If you want to get a table on a weekend, you can expect to wait months for a reservation. On a whim, I searched on open table Saturday afternoon. An 8:30pm table for 2 popped up – WHAT?! Before I knew it, we were dressed in our finest impromptu date night attire and an uber taxi was whisking us up Dearborn.
The restaurant itself is beautiful. It’s has an open concept, but the darker colors and wood tones keep it comfortable, yet swanky. If you’ve been to RPM Italian, it’s almost the inverse of their bright white, but just as sleek. They were running slightly behind, so we headed to the four-sided open bar. There are booths that flank three sides and people sitting and standing about 2 rows deep all around the bar. It was crowded, but does that matter when you’re there to be IN the scene? I didn’t think so. We ordered a glass each of the Sonoma County, CA Complicated Chardonnay to start. The bar area started to thin out a tiny bit when our table was ready around 9pm.
We sat down and were presented with the gluten free menus (which I requested in the reservation). There is really not that much difference with the regular menu as their gluten free menu is huge and impressive. We were then greeted by our AMAZING server, Chrissy (or Krissy? sorry!) who told us she is Celiac and we can rest assured that they take gluten free seriously. Chrissy then sent over one of their five sommeliers to help us navigate the extremely extensive wine list. Once that order of business was complete, we turned our attention back to the dinner menu. We decided on:
- Oysters: Sourced from the west coast – you get 6 for $18. These were some of the best oysters I’ve had. They come topped with a very light sort of ceviche relish that included jalapeno, cucumber, lemon and lime juice. I would go back and just order these with a glass of champs!
- Thick cut bacon: Chrissy told us this dish is life changing and she was right. It had a nice sweet maple glaze and in a way, it reminded me of french toast – it was that thick!
- 20 oz. Grass Fed Bone in Ribeye (sourced from Slagel Farms): Even though there is a bone in it, this steak is HUGE! I thought Chuck would definitely be bringing some home, but he powered through and ate the whole thing. I had a bite and it was seasoned perfectly and very juicy. He also ordered the butter and bone marrow sauce to complement it.
- 8 oz. Grass Fed Bison Filet (sourced from High Plains): I expect bison to be leaner than other meats and it was, but was still full of flavor and tender. This was a generous, thick cut portion and as much as I wanted to finish it, I did have to give Chuck my last few bites (which he ate on top of his 20 oz. without a problem 🙂 )
- Hen of the Woods Mushrooms: You don’t often see these on a menu and they are Chuck’s favorite mushroom, so we had to get them. They had a delicious woody flavor, as you’d expect, and were just divine. The serving dish didn’t move far from Chuck’s setting and I had to strategically grab some while he was busy chewing.
- Roasted Cauliflower: Sounds boring, but it’s one of our staple, cruciferous vegetables. This was like no cauli I’ve had before. The roasted florets were very soft and came in a very light tomato type of sauce with lime. Sounds odd, but it worked really well.
RPM Steak hit it out of the park for us on all counts: food (with bonafide paleo options), service and ambience. It is also a bonus that it is part of the Lettuce Entertain You group of restaurants. We had some gift cards that we were able to use which softens the blow when the check comes. It is spendy, but it is worth checking out. Don’t forget to request Chrissy as your server – she is the best! Thank you RPM Steak for an awesome date night!
I like everything about this except for the fact you chose Uber — so easy to catch a regular Chicago cab on Dearborn, and gee, regular taxi drivers have to pass training classes before getting their licenses, and if they refuse to pick up someone with, say, a service dog, well then registered city cab drivers are subject to city fines. Uber drivers have no training in dealing with people who have disabilities, and if they refuse to pick us up, there’s little we can do. Other than the Uber ride , though –thumbs up on your night out!
I really enjoyed reading about your time at RPM Steak! Everything looks and sounds amazing. I was hoping I could ask you a couple of questions via email, could you please send me a note at the email address I’ve provided? Thank you!